Cromer Hyde- St Johns Church Lemsford Village
Cromer Hyde is a small hamlet to the north of the Village.
Cromer Hyde is small community with a Pub called the Crooked Chimney and a lane that consists of Lower, middle and Upper Cromer Hyde. The House go all the way up the lane to Upper Cromer Hyde and some are used to accommodate the staff of Brocket Hall. Many were built by the owner of the Hall and some have the mark of WK (Walter Kerr) Who built many of the houses in the early 19th century. The Lane in early 19th century boasted of 3 Farms. To read about the life in Cromer Hyde we recommend HJ. Brown Historian Website
The History of Lemsford Parish
The parish of Lemsford was created out of the parish of Bishop's Hatfield in 1859. Originally the parish included Lemsford Village itself, with the outlying areas of Cromer Hyde, Stanborough and the Brocket Park Estate plus part of the west side of what is now Welwyn Garden City. Boundary changes in 1927 transferred this latter area to the newly founded Welwyn Garden City. The river Lea (or river Lee), which once formed part of the boundary of the Saxon kingdoms of Mercia and Wessex runs through the parish. The A1 motorway, the main arterial north - south road, follows roughly the course of the "Old Great North Road" from London to York which went from Stanborough, through Lemsford Village and on to Old Welwyn until by-passed in 1834. The parish of Lemsford now forms part of the administrative area of Welwyn Hatfield Council in the English county of Hertfordshire. Click Here to View Lemsford Local History Group Website
Please look at our Parish Directory for useful contacts or scroll down this page.
St Johns Church - Lemsford Village
In 1858 Queen in Council approves the Ecclesiastical Commission's request to create the new Parish of Lemsford out of the Parish of Bishop's Hatfield, diocese of Rochester, on the 3rd February.
1859 Consecration of St. John's, Lemsford by Lord Aukland, Bishop of Bath & Wells on the 27th May.
Find out more about St Johns Church Lemsford