Single Article

Welcome to our services

Our main Sunday Service is at 11 am. We also have an 8.00 am Holy Communion

St Johns School - Lemsford Village

The Education Act of 1870 required provision be made for all children to have the opportunity for an education. Prior to this date few children, other than those from wealthy families, were able to attend any type of school. At Cromer Hyde there was a ‘Dame School’ run by Miss Archer for about forty children whose parents paid 2d (about 40p in today's money) per week for each child. St Mary’s School in nearby Welwyn had been established some years before but it was too far away for the children of Lemsford. In order that these children should have their own school Lord Cowper, who at the time owned the Panshanger and Brocket Estates, had a school built in 1872 and which he supported financially until 1903. View our gallery of St Johns School Lemsford

St Johns School - Lemsford Village

On the 4th May 1872, the first entry in the Head Teacher’s Log Book was made by Mrs Mary Seaman, the first Head Teacher. On that day, seventy-seven children, ranging in age from three to thirteen, were enrolled. They were divided into two classes - one being taken by Mrs Seaman and the other by her husband Walter, her assistant. They were all taught in one room, the room now used as the dining room in the oldest part of the school. The school was approved by the Government on the 16th May 1872

Find out more about St Johns School Lemsford




The Early Days

Few of the children had any idea of numbers or of letters, and the first task was to teach them to read and write and do simple arithmetic. The girls were taught needlework, and the boys gardening, and all the children learned to sing. The Vicar the Revd. Fred Burnside, opened the school each morning with prayers, and made himself responsible for the teaching of scripture to the older pupils.

The Lemsford Local History Group, formed in 2001, is interested in all aspects of the history and the people of this area - both ancient and modern. We welcome correspondence from anyone who shares this interest. Read more about St Johns School Lemsford.

Andy Chapman LLHG

The first 100 years of St Johns School

This short history of the first 100 year of St Johns School Lemsford was compiled by Andy Chapman of the Lemsford Local History Group from their archives with a special mention to the excellent article titled ‘A brief History of Lemsford School’ by Mr E.L Temple, head teacher from 1963 to 1979. To read 'The first 100 years od St Johns School' Click Here

Useful Links

  1. The Diocese of St Albans

    We are the Church of England in Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, Luton and Barnet. Over 35,000 people worship in our churches across the week

    1. Bishops Hatfield Parish Website

      St Etheldreda's Church is Hatfield's Parish Church. This building, although steeped in England's history, is not a museum. It is a meeting place for a thriving Christian community. The congregation on a Sunday ranges from babes in arms to grandparents.

      1. St John’s Church of England Primary School

        A very warm welcome to St John’s Church of England Primary School, Lemsford. We are a happy, caring school which aims high in all we do. At St John’s we seek to nourish the curiosity in each child by creating a safe, nurturing and inspiring learning environment. Our vision for St John’s is shaped by our shared Christian values and driven by a desire for all at St John’s to embrace challenge and grow.

  2. St. Mary’s Church, North Mymms.

    Welcome to the website for St. Mary’s Church, North Mymms. Our beautiful church has served the parish of North Mymms for over 700 years and continues to be a centre for worship, mission and prayer for the local communities of Brookmans Park, Welham Green and the surrounding area.

  3. Lemsford local history group

    The parish of Lemsford was created out of the parish of Bishop's Hatfield in 1859. Originally the parish included Lemsford Village itself, with the outlying areas of Cromer Hyde, Stanborough and the Brocket Park Estate plus part of the west side of what is now Welwyn Garden City.

Areas That Make Up lemsford Parish