Fullwidth Template

Welcome to our services

Our main Sunday Service is at 11 am. We also have an 8.00 am Holy Communion

The Vicars of St Johns Church

A description of the Church on the day of its Consecration, May 27th 1859 (from the Hertfordshire Mercury May 28th 1859)

“ The church consists of a nave, tower, chancel, and vestry. The nave and the lofty and exquisitely proportioned tower are in the Early English style of architecture, and the chancel in the Decorated style. The upper stage of the tower is filled with graceful arches which support a handsome perforated parapet; and at the north-east angle of the tower a beautiful stair-turret rise above the whole. The tower has been constructed of sufficient strength to bear a spire, which it is proposed to add at some future period. The east wall of the chancel is occupied by a five lighted window in the Decorated style. The windows in the nave area are in keeping with the character of the building. Handsome stone crosses are placed at the termination of the gables of the nave and chancel. The church is built of Ancaster hammer-dressed stone, which is of a lighter and cleaner colour than the Kentish rag-stone ordinarily used, with dress stones for the coignes, windows and doors.

Internally the church is almost destitute of ornament, but its harmonious proportions give it a beauty which could not be obtained by mere decoration. The wall of the chancel is so entirely filled with windows, that there is no space for the sacred inscriptions which so frequently occupy this position in churches; but the tables of the Ten Commandments are displayed on the sides of the chancel arch. The roof is open timbered, and like the seats and general fittings, is of massive deal, carefully finished, and stained, so as to closely resemble oak. The reading desk, and prayer desk, and altar rail are of oak; and the pulpit is of stone, the sides filled in with arches, and the sermon slab, or rest, supported by the figure of an angel with expanded wings. The font, which stands just inside the southern porch, is also of stone, and in the Decorated style. The nave is paved with Staffordshire tiles, and the chancel with Minton's tiles. The altar cloth of velvet, has the sacred monogram worked upon it in golden coloured silk; and this, as well as the chairs and stools. of maroon velvet, embroidered with golden ornaments, and the pulpit cushion were worked by the Ladies Cowper, who has thus, with their own fingers, assisted to complete the design of their mother.

The only entrance to the church is by the southern porch, which, being in keeping with the general style of the building, is not one of those unsightly projections, out of taste and proportion, which one frequently meets with in modern imitations of the worst type of olden architecture.” CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE

<
Name Period at St Johns Date of image Donator of Image
Rev. A. Lacock 1859 - 1868 Unknown Unknown
Rev. W.Burnside 1869 - 1872 Unknown Unknown
Rev.J.P.A.Fletcher 1872 - 1877 Unknown Unknown
Rev.W.Bone 1877 - 1891 Unknown Unknown
Rev.F.E.Coggin 1891 - 1905 Unknown Unknown
Rev.A.E.Ward 1905 - 1920 No Image No Image
Rev.W.W Clarke 1920 - 1935 Unknown Unknown
Rev.N.A.Lash 1935 - 1944 No Image Unknown
Rev. R.R.P.Rigby 1944 - 1949 Unknown Unknown
Rev.K.Mitchell 1950 - 1967 Unknown Unknown
Rev.F.J.Leonard 1968 - 1978 Unknown Unknown
Rev. R.S.Ingamells1979 - 2002 Unknown unknown
Rev. E.Cardale 2002 - 2014 Unknown Unknown

Rev. A. Lacock (1859 - 1868)

On the day of its Consecration 0f St Johns Church, Lemsford, May 27th 1859 the Vicar was the Rev A.Lacock. The Rev . The total number of Vicars at St Johns is 13



Rev. W.Burnside (1869 - 1872)

On the day of its Consecration 0f St Johns Church, Lemsford, May 27th 1859 the Vicar was the Rev A.Lacock. The Rev . The total number of Vicars at St Johns is 13 including the Rev. W.Burnside




Rev.J.P.A.Fletcher (1872 - 1877)

On the day of its Consecration 0f St Johns Church, Lemsford, May 27th 1859 the Vicar was the Rev A.Lacock. The Rev . The total number of Vicars at St Johns is 13 including Rev.J.P.A.Fletcher




Rev.W.Bone (1877 - 1891) No Image

On the day of its Consecration 0f St Johns Church, Lemsford, May 27th 1859 the Vicar was the Rev A.Lacock. The Rev . The total number of Vicars at St Johns is 13 including Rev.W.Bone



Rev.F.E.Coggin (1891 - 1905)

On the day of its Consecration 0f St Johns Church, Lemsford, May 27th 1859 the Vicar was the Rev A.Lacock. The Rev . The total number of Vicars at St Johns is 13 including Rev.F.E.Coggin



Rev.A.E.Ward (1905 - 1920) No Image

On the day of its Consecration 0f St Johns Church, Lemsford, May 27th 1859 the Vicar was the Rev A.Lacock. The Rev . The total number of Vicars at St Johns is 13 including Rev.A.E.Ward




Rev.W.W Clarke (1920 - 1935)

On the day of its Consecration 0f St Johns Church, Lemsford, May 27th 1859 the Vicar was the Rev A.Lacock. The Rev . The total number of Vicars at St Johns is 13 including Rev.W.W Clarke





Rev.N.A.Lash (1935 - 1944)

On the day of its Consecration 0f St Johns Church, Lemsford, May 27th 1859 the Vicar was the Rev A.Lacock. The Rev . The total number of Vicars at St Johns is 13 including Rev.N.A.Lash





Rev. R.R.P.Rigby (1944 - 1949)

On the day of its Consecration 0f St Johns Church, Lemsford, May 27th 1859 the Vicar was the Rev A.Lacock. The Rev . The total number of Vicars at St Johns is 13 including Rev. R.R.P.Rigby





Rev.K.Mitchell (1950 - 1967)

On the day of its Consecration 0f St Johns Church, Lemsford, May 27th 1859 the Vicar was the Rev A.Lacock. The Rev . The total number of Vicars at St Johns is 13 including Rev.K.Mitchell





Rev.F.J.Leonard (1968 - 1978)

On the day of its Consecration 0f St Johns Church, Lemsford, May 27th 1859 the Vicar was the Rev A.Lacock. The Rev . The total number of Vicars at St Johns is 13 including Rev.F.J.Leonard




Rev. R.S.Ingamells (1979 - 2002)

On the day of its Consecration 0f St Johns Church, Lemsford, May 27th 1859 the Vicar was the Rev A.Lacock. The Rev . The total number of Vicars at St Johns is 13 including Rev. R.S.Ingamells





Rev. E.Cardale (2002 - 2014)

On the day of its Consecration 0f St Johns Church, Lemsford, May 27th 1859 the Vicar was the Rev A.Lacock. The Rev . The total number of Vicars at St Johns is 13 including Rev. E.Cardale






Our main Sunday Service is at 11 am. Each Sunday we also have an 8.00 am Holy Communion (Prayer Book) and a 6.30 pm Evening Service, variable.Read More

Our friendly church is prominently located in the village of Lemsford, Hertfordshire. You can find us north of Hatfield, close to Welwyn Garden City on the B653 at the South East side of Brocket Hall Park. The village of Lemsford itself is well known throughout the area for its large mill on the River Lea which winds its way through Brocket Hall Park. Read More