Single Article

Welcome to our services

Our main Sunday Service is at 11 am. We also have an 8.00 am Holy Communion

About Us - St Johns Church Lemsford Village

Our friendly church is prominently located in the village of Lemsford, Hertfordshire and was built in 1859 giving it a solid history. The village of Lemsford itself is well known throughout the area for its large mill on the River Lea which winds its way through Brocket Hall Park. You can get directions here.

Our church is supported by our curate and the Church Officers. Members of our lively congregation live in Lemsford, Welwyn Garden City, Hatfield and elsewhere in the surrounding area. We also have a special concern for Hatfield Garden Village as well as our own parish.

We are part of the Bishop's Hatfield Team Ministry within the Diocese of St. Albans. Other members of the Team Ministry are the four churches in the parish of Bishop's Hatfield - St. Etheldreda's, St. Michael and All Angels', St. John the Evangelist's, St. Luke's and St. Mary's, North Mymms.

Children are, of course, always welcome in church and are a valued part of our church family. All ages join for the whole service in church once a month and on other occasions and we have an active Children and young people congregation. St John's School, also in Lemsford, is a Church of England Voluntary Aided Primary School with close links to the church.

Our main Sunday Service is at 11 am. Each Sunday we also have an 8.00 am Holy Communion (Prayer Book) and a 6.30 pm Evening Service, variable. For full details, please see our services page.

St Johns Church - Lemsford Village

In 1858 Queen in Council approves the Ecclesiastical Commission's request to create the new Parish of Lemsford out of the Parish of Bishop's Hatfield, diocese of Rochester, on the 3rd February. 1859 Consecration of St. John's, Lemsford by Lord Aukland, Bishop of Bath & Wells on the 27th May.

Find out more about St Johns Church Lemsford




The Brocket Chapel

In 1930 the Brocket chapel was built in memory of Florence Nall-Cain, who died in 1927 at a cost of £7,000 by Sir Charles Nall-Cain. As you enter the chapel, to the left of the door is her stone effigy lying on a canopied marble tomb, finished in mediaeval style and complete with heraldic cats at her feet. The ceiling displays the armorial bearings of several families associated with Brocket Hall. Oxford architect F.E. Howard was commissioned to build the chapel in the Perpendicular style by Florence's husband Sir Charles Nall-Cain, great grandfather of Charlie Brocket. The private chapel was dedicated by the Bishop of St Albans in 1930 and is thought to be the last of its kind to be built in England. The nave and tower are Early English Gothic, the chancel Decorated, and there is a fine East window which was created, again, in memory of the Earl Cowper.

History of st John's

The church was erected over 150 years ago as a memorial to George Augustus, the sixth Earl Cowper, who died before he could realise his publicly declared intention to build a church at Lemsford for the benefit of his tenants. His widow and children ensured that his wish was fulfilled, and the church, designed by David Brandon, was built and dedicated in 1859.

Andy Chapman LLHG

The present day church

The tower, complete with perforated quatrefoil parapet and corner-mounted dragon gargoyles, remains to this day a prominent landmark in the surrounding countryside. There was no clock until 1876 when the original timepiece was installed by Messrs. Gillet & Bland to the west and south elevations of the tower. The clock is now, of course, electrically powered. 1977 the Bells are installed. Peal of six bells dedicated by By Rt. Rev. Bishop of St. Albans, Robert Runcie on December 18th the bells were the inspiration of geoff Dodds and a group of volunteers.. This original feature houses a very steep and narrow spiral staircase that is certainly not for the faint-hearted!

Useful Links

  1. The Diocese of St Albans

    We are the Church of England in Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, Luton and Barnet. Over 35,000 people worship in our churches across the week

    1. Bishops Hatfield Parish Website

      St Etheldreda's Church is Hatfield's Parish Church. This building, although steeped in England's history, is not a museum. It is a meeting place for a thriving Christian community. The congregation on a Sunday ranges from babes in arms to grandparents.

      1. St John’s Church of England Primary School

        A very warm welcome to St John’s Church of England Primary School, Lemsford. We are a happy, caring school which aims high in all we do. At St John’s we seek to nourish the curiosity in each child by creating a safe, nurturing and inspiring learning environment. Our vision for St John’s is shaped by our shared Christian values and driven by a desire for all at St John’s to embrace challenge and grow.

  2. St. Mary’s Church, North Mymms.

    Welcome to the website for St. Mary’s Church, North Mymms. Our beautiful church has served the parish of North Mymms for over 700 years and continues to be a centre for worship, mission and prayer for the local communities of Brookmans Park, Welham Green and the surrounding area.

  3. Lemsford local history group

    The parish of Lemsford was created out of the parish of Bishop's Hatfield in 1859. Originally the parish included Lemsford Village itself, with the outlying areas of Cromer Hyde, Stanborough and the Brocket Park Estate plus part of the west side of what is now Welwyn Garden City.

Areas That Make Up lemsford Parish