Single Article

Welcome to our services

Our main Sunday Service is at 11 am. We also have an 8.00 am Holy Communion

Parish Directory - St Johns Church Lemsford Village

Vicar

Rev Paul Seymour 9 Great Braitch Lane Hatfield AL10 9FD

revpaulseymour@gmail.com 01707 271966 

Churchwarden:
Jackie Spry. 57 The Crescent, Welwyn AL6 9JE | 01438 715868

 

Vice-Chairman of Parochial Church Council:
Geoffrey Hollis | g.hollis2@ntlworld.com | 01707 265 617

Treasurer & Parish Clerk:
Gina Butler. 33 Gt. North Road Stanborough AL8 7TJ | 01707 372062

Assistant Treasurer (Gift Aid): Jackie Spry. 57 The Crescent, Welwyn, AL6 9JE | 01438 715868

PCC Secretary:
Martin English. 13 The Valley Green, Welwyn Garden City AL8 7DQ | 01707 334074

Electoral Roll Secretary:
Andy Garratt

Position Name Tel Number Email

Deputy Churchwarden

John Benson

01707 325 663
 
Deputy Churchwarden


Jean Mitchinson

01707 329 023

 
Deputy Churchwarden

Brian Spry

01438 715 868  

Choir Leader

Carole Payne

01707 329 697

 

Children and young people Choir

Tim Armstrong-Taylor

01707 372 278

tim@operaontherun.com

Tower Captain

Roger Brown

01727 859 059  

Sunday Club Leader

Jo Brooks

01707 256 702  

Children and young people Co-ordinator

Jo Brooks 01707 256 702  

Garden of Remembrance & Records

Barbara Taylor 01707 329 553  

Flower Arranging Organiser

Sara Poole 01707 320 358  

Church Cleaning Organiser

Eileen Martindale 01707  

Magazine Editor

Geoffrey Hollis 01707 265 617 g.hollis2@ntlworld.com

St John’s School Head Teacher

Mandy Evans 01707 322 589  

Administrators / Notice sheet


Liz and Gus Edwards 01707 323 785 lizandgusedwards@
gmail.com

 


Home Groups : Thursday is Carole Payne

Home Groups : Friday is Mary Douglas 01707 322135

Friendship Teas: Mary Douglas & Barbara Taylor 01707 322135 or 01707 329 553

Website: Andy Chapman chapman.lc@btinternet.com

St John’s Church Annexe is available for hire at reasonable cost. Excellent for small meetings, Anniversaries and children’s Parties. Booking through Gus & Liz Edwards

 

St Johns Church - Lemsford Village

In 1858 Queen in Council approves the Ecclesiastical Commission's request to create the new Parish of Lemsford out of the Parish of Bishop's Hatfield, diocese of Rochester, on the 3rd February. 1859 Consecration of St. John's, Lemsford by Lord Aukland, Bishop of Bath & Wells on the 27th May.

Find out more about St Johns Church Lemsford




The Brocket Chapel

In 1930 the Brocket chapel was built in memory of Florence Nall-Cain, who died in 1927 at a cost of £7,000 by Sir Charles Nall-Cain. As you enter the chapel, to the left of the door is her stone effigy lying on a canopied marble tomb, finished in mediaeval style and complete with heraldic cats at her feet. The ceiling displays the armorial bearings of several families associated with Brocket Hall. Oxford architect F.E. Howard was commissioned to build the chapel in the Perpendicular style by Florence's husband Sir Charles Nall-Cain, great grandfather of Charlie Brocket. The private chapel was dedicated by the Bishop of St Albans in 1930 and is thought to be the last of its kind to be built in England. The nave and tower are Early English Gothic, the chancel Decorated, and there is a fine East window which was created, again, in memory of the Earl Cowper.

History of st John's

The church was erected over 150 years ago as a memorial to George Augustus, the sixth Earl Cowper, who died before he could realise his publicly declared intention to build a church at Lemsford for the benefit of his tenants. His widow and children ensured that his wish was fulfilled, and the church, designed by David Brandon, was built and dedicated in 1859.

Andy Chapman LLHG

The present day church

The tower, complete with perforated quatrefoil parapet and corner-mounted dragon gargoyles, remains to this day a prominent landmark in the surrounding countryside. There was no clock until 1876 when the original timepiece was installed by Messrs. Gillet & Bland to the west and south elevations of the tower. The clock is now, of course, electrically powered. 1977 the Bells are installed. Peal of six bells dedicated by By Rt. Rev. Bishop of St. Albans, Robert Runcie on December 18th the bells were the inspiration of geoff Dodds and a group of volunteers.. This original feature houses a very steep and narrow spiral staircase that is certainly not for the faint-hearted!

Useful Links

  1. The Diocese of St Albans

    We are the Church of England in Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire, Luton and Barnet. Over 35,000 people worship in our churches across the week

    1. Bishops Hatfield Parish Website

      St Etheldreda's Church is Hatfield's Parish Church. This building, although steeped in England's history, is not a museum. It is a meeting place for a thriving Christian community. The congregation on a Sunday ranges from babes in arms to grandparents.

      1. St John’s Church of England Primary School

        A very warm welcome to St John’s Church of England Primary School, Lemsford. We are a happy, caring school which aims high in all we do. At St John’s we seek to nourish the curiosity in each child by creating a safe, nurturing and inspiring learning environment. Our vision for St John’s is shaped by our shared Christian values and driven by a desire for all at St John’s to embrace challenge and grow.

  2. St. Mary’s Church, North Mymms.

    Welcome to the website for St. Mary’s Church, North Mymms. Our beautiful church has served the parish of North Mymms for over 700 years and continues to be a centre for worship, mission and prayer for the local communities of Brookmans Park, Welham Green and the surrounding area.

  3. Lemsford local history group

    The parish of Lemsford was created out of the parish of Bishop's Hatfield in 1859. Originally the parish included Lemsford Village itself, with the outlying areas of Cromer Hyde, Stanborough and the Brocket Park Estate plus part of the west side of what is now Welwyn Garden City.

Areas That Make Up lemsford Parish