News & People - St Johns Church Lemsford Village
Our friendly church is prominently located in the village of Lemsford, Hertfordshire and was built in 1859 giving it a solid history. The village of Lemsford itself is well known throughout the area for its large mill on the River Lea which winds its way through Brocket Hall Park. You can get directions here.
Our church is supported by our curate and the Church Officers. Members of our lively congregation live in Lemsford, Welwyn Garden City, Hatfield and elsewhere in the surrounding area. We also have a special concern for Hatfield Garden Village as well as our own parish.
We are part of the Bishop's Hatfield Team Ministry within the Diocese of St. Albans. Other members of the Team Ministry are the four churches in the parish of Bishop's Hatfield - St. Etheldreda's, St. Michael and All Angels', St. John the Evangelist's, St. Luke's and St. Mary's, North Mymms.
Children are, of course, always welcome in church and are a valued part of our church family. All ages join for the whole service in church once a month and on other occasions and we have an active Children and young people congregation. St John's School, also in Lemsford, is a Church of England Voluntary Aided Primary School with close links to the church.
Our main Sunday Service is at 11 am. Each Sunday we also have an 8.00 am Holy Communion (Prayer Book) and a 6.30 pm Evening Service, variable. For full details, please see our services page.
The church was erected over 150 years ago as a memorial to George Augustus, the sixth Earl Cowper, who died before he could realise his publicly declared intention to build a church at Lemsford for the benefit of his tenants. His widow and children ensured that his wish was fulfilled, and the church, designed by David Brandon, was built and dedicated in 1859.
Andy Chapman LLHG